FIVE ways to sneak in some N.E.A.T!
Sharing with you today FIVE ways to sneak in some N.E.A.T! NEAT stands for non-exercise activity thermogenesis. I was first introduced to NEAT and the importance of it in decreasing stress from @fatlosslifestyleschool. Ever since I have been working at implementing this into my lifestyle b/c I’ve seen how effective it is!! I learned a lot about what nutrition serves my body best from them, but this was a change I wasn’t aware I needed!
Here are my top 5 ways to get in some NEAT:
- After workout cool down walk. Often after teaching my early morning class, I’ll walk for 10-20 min just to cool down my muscles and spend some time praying before my day begins. Teaching fitness classes is such a get-to, but I often need a little extra time to transition from teaching to the rest of my day and I find this to work well!
- Mid-day 10 min walk – When I’m at home, I schedule these in my day in the morning and afternoon, or otherwise I’ll keep busy and completely forget about them. During my days at the clinic, I intentionally schedule my patients a little further apart, which allows for some extra time if patients need it, but if not, I’ll decompress from our appointments and decrease my stress load by getting in 10 min of movement in between patients!
- Walk over noon hour – lately when I drop my daughter off at preschool, I’ll walk for 15-30 min afterward before we go home and continue with our afternoon. I find it to be a great transition between lunch and work/naptime.
- Move with your kids after school/after dinner time. Kids spend so much time sitting, and even though I’d love for them to get their homework done immediately, I see that my kids crave time to move after school. They often drop their stuff off inside and head outside without even stopping for a snack! Sometimes we stop at the park after school to burn off some energy, or we’ll go for a family walk before or after dinner.
- Rather than stopping and scrolling – go move! What do you do when you need a quick mental break? We often open up our phones and mindlessly scroll, but I find that, though my brain TELLS me that this will make me feel better, in all reality it ends up making me feel MORE anxious and stressed out. In this case, we need to recognize that though screens might sound like a way to tune out, we are much better off putting the phone away and moving our bodies for 15 min for a mental break instead. It’s amazing how much better I feel after I move and how it truly does relieve stress!
All right, what is your favorite way to sneak in some movement? What would you add to my list?