The Truth about Pregnancy Weight Gain
Did you love or hate being pregnant? Did you struggle with the weight gain associated with pregnancy?
I’ve shared it in the past, but I definitely did not love pregnancy. In my earlier pregnancies, I’d work out hard and starve myself the day of my appts to be lighter on the scale. I know..ridiculous, but this was back when I was living in chains and I believed a lie that the scale dictated my worth.
If you are struggling with pregnancy weight gain…I hope I can be an encouragement today, b/c though I can’t change my past, my testimony of pain and shame can still be used to bring freedom to someone else who is struggling!
- The scale doesn’t dictate your worth. I know you KNOW this…but do you actually believe it? Do you cringe when you step on or live in fear of what it might say? Or do you step on knowing that the number does not dictate your happiness, it can’t claim your joy, and it literally is just a measure of mass, nothing more? Practically speaking, you can have a conversation with your provider and tell them that unless your weight gain is ultra concerning, you do not want to know what it is and you can step on the scale backward. If that helps you stay free, friend, then by all means do it!
- 25-35# recommended weight gain is an AVERAGE. I repeat…an average. 4 of my 5 pregnancies I gained 40# and lost it within the year. This was a healthy weight gain for my body type. The first was only 33# and that was because I ran too much and ended up injuring my pelvis. Not a smart move. Please, I ask you…don’t get hung up on this number.EveryBODY is different and will respond differently to what it needs. Make it your goal to move in kindness and fuel your body well, not to achieve the perfect number.
- Trust the process. This is my favorite because we have a GOOD FATHER and CREATOR who designed the FEMALE body well! Don’t you think that the Father knows what’s best for your body during pregnancy? That He DESIGNED your body to gain weight during pregnancy? It was HIS DESIGN FIRST! He DELIGHTS over you and the child within your womb. Ask the Father what is best for your body, and then TRUST HIM with the process! He loves to answer us in these places and show us His heart!
- Stop comparing – Stop comparing to your pregnant friend, sister, or yourself in another pregnancy! Stop comparing period. They have a different body. Your body may be different in this pregnancy compared to the last one. Take each pregnancy as a new opportunity to embrace this unique and precious time of life. It truly is a gift. Comparison sucks all the joy out of the gift if we allow it to rule our mind.
- Recognize that the very God who designed your body to gain weight and change shapes/sizes is also the God who designed your body to recover from it. Don’t start making plans for the future and focus so heavily on weight loss that you lose sight of exactly where you are right now. He will take care of you postpartum if you ask for His wisdom! Trust His Design and His desire to see you live well at EACH stage of life.
Mamas who have walked through this…what advice would you give to a mom who is pregnant for the first time? What did you learn along the way about pregnancy weight gain that could be a word of Truth for someone else who is struggling?