Seasonal Shoe Selections
Last year we shared with you a fall shoe round-up of my favs, and it was such a hit, we thought it would be fun to do with you again! So let’s go – here are my favorite picks this year – most of them are also fair trade! You’ll find a couple of themes here – I typically pick pretty classically neutral colors that will work with most of the clothes in my closet. Though I love a pop of color, I always find myself reaching for neutrals and so I’ve learned that it’s wisest for me to purchase neutrals in order to get the most use out of what I buy. But no shame if you like some color – most of these will have multiple color options so go check them out!
- Rothy’s The Point – Little Cat – I purchased my first pair of Rothy’s last year in an animal print and they were absolutely on repeat all fall and winter. The point is such a classic, but it is recommended to size up a full size! I love a little animal print on occasion, esp with a pretty classic outfit. It adds a little fun without being over the top and can be pretty classic in and of itself. The point is an attractive, yet comfortable shoe that you can wear with so many things, and looks great with skinny jeans to skirts, dresses, trousers, and the latest boot-cuts and wide-leg jeans as well! If you’d like to give Rothy’s a try, here’s a code for $20 off.
- The Root Collective – Lili Mule in Chestnut – I love a good mule, and when it comes from a fair trade company, it scores double points. Mules are my go-to in the fall, though they don’t work great with Iowa winters. 😉 Thankfully they’re perfect to pull out again in the spring! I wear these with work trousers, jeans, and I think they could work great with a casual dress or skirt too!
- Italeau – Foliana Bootie in Cognac – TRUTH – I don’t yet own this boot. Also truth – It’s on my wishlist. 🙂 Italeau popped up for me as I was researching fair trade options. I haven’t purchased a new bootie in years and my current ones are getting pretty worn. This is on my wish list and if I purchase it, I’ll let you know what I think. This comes in tons of colors, but I like this classic height and shape that really will never go out of style.
- Soludos – Ibiza Slip-On – I wanted a neutral shoe I could literally slip on as I ran out the door for errands or to drop off/pick up kids from school. Half the time I’m running late or I’m juggling a bunch of stuff and kids, so there are occasions where a slip-on is a perfect choice. It’s also a nice in-between shoe when you don’t want a sneaker but your outfit is still pretty casual. I’d pair them with jeans or leggings and a sweatshirt or casual T. I’d recommend sizing up 1/2 size. I’m waiting for my exchange to come but loved the shoe other than it fits slightly small.
- Veja – Campo in White/Natural Suede – I’ve expressed my love for Veja and I just couldn’t leave them out of this round-up. I have this exact pair but with black accents. I don’t need another pair, but if I did, I love the neutral accents on this pair as well! Veja is committed to fair-trade practices and when you put on this shoe, you can tell it was hand-made, made WELL, and will last for many years to come!
- Nisolo – Go-To Lug Chelsea Boot in Tobacco – what’s your opinion on lug boots? Jennie (who works with me) and I were discussing our confusion over lug boots. They are definitely in style right now, and they can really look cute on others, but we both feel like they look a little clunky when we put them on! 🙂 It might just be a personal preference as we both prefer a more classic, feminine shoe over a wider clunky shoe. If I’d get a lug boot, I’d opt for these – a nice cognac color that literally goes with everything, a smaller lug sole, and a more narrow shape compared to many out there. Nisolo is a fair-trade company that is very transparent about its practices!
- Birdies – Heron Flats in Tan Suede – I had to finish my list with Birdies. I tried Birdies for the first time last year and fell in love! They are SUPER comfortable and still cute! I most often wore them to work with slacks, but I’d easily wear them with jeans as well. Last year I purchased the Starling in Latte Suede (this should not surprise you if you look it up! Very neutral!). I still like it and would highly recommend, but I was definitely eyeing a couple of other styles this year, including the heron in tan suede. I love the color that’s neutral but pulls a little pink, and the more narrow shape and pointed toe. I did feel like my Starling stretched a bit and looks a little wide, so if I were to make another purchase I would try this one! Birdies are a certified B-corp, meaning they support and empower women and take care of those making their products. Anytime you see B-corp, you know this is a great company to purchase from. If you’d like to give Birdies a try, here’s a link for $20 off your first purchase. They have lots of great styles and colors/materials to choose from!
- On – Could 5 Pearl/White – I’ve been a lover of On for a few years now. I started with a shoe just like this for every day/running around. Then I added a different kind for my primary workout shoe. And after a few years, I decided it was time to upgrade my running-around shoe to this one. I LOVE this shoe so much. It’s super easy to slip on but so comfy that it can be worn all day. It can be worn with joggers, leggings, and jeans easily, and I LOVE this pearl color esp for fall – still light, but not stark white like so many other popular shoes/sneakers. I typically size up ½ size in On’s. This one is borderline – I probably could have done my normal size but with socks ½ size up is good!
What shoe should I add to my list? Any favorite companies I should check out?